Quantification of maximum premolar and molar clenching force during the isometric contraction of the muscles
Keywords:maximum bite force, manducatory system, occlusal traducer, thickness of traducer, mandibular opening angle
The purpose of this study to quantify the activity of the masticatory muscles. For this we recorded the maximum bite force of opposing teeth during voluntary clenching. The study was carried out on 31 students aged 21 to 28 with a satisfactory dental arch. The measurements were obtained on one side only. Nine thicknesses of the traducers were used for the premolar zone and two for the molar zone. We determined an optimal thickness enabling the highest measurement: 6.5 mm for the premolars and 5.2 for the molars. The highest measurements were averaged and the following results were obtained: premolars-35 kgf for females and 50 kgf for males; molars-100 kgf for females and 130 kgf for males.
I hereby certify that the authors of the above manuscript have all:
1. Conceived, planned, and performed the work leading to the report, or interpreted the evidence presented, or both;
2. Written the report or reviewed successive versions and shared in their revisions; and
3. Approved the final version.
Further, I certify that:
1. This work has not been published elsewhere and is not under revision in another journal;
2. Humane procedures have been followed in the treatment of experimental animals (if applicable);
3. Investigations in humans was done in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation or with the Helsinki Declaration (if applicable).
4. This paper has been carefully read by a native English speaker who is familiar with the field of work (this applies to authors who are not fluent in English); and
5. The copyright of the article is transferred from the authors to the Bulletin du Groupement International pour la Recherche Scientifique en Stomatologie et Odontologie upon acceptance of the manuscript.