About the Journal
Focus and Scope
Business is in constant change. The twenty-first century is witnessing the expansion of ICTs in traditional and new industries and services, the increasing participation of transnationals from emerging economies in global FDI, changes in the institutions that rule public and private businesses, and new targets for entrepreneurs and corporations to achieve an environmentally sustainable and more equal growth.
The pathways and strategies that lead changes in businesses are path-dependent, evolutionary, and often involve Schumpeterian destruction and innovation. For this reason, a correct understanding of the evolution in business requires a dynamic perspective, and longitudinal analysis.
The Journal of Evolutionary Studies in Business encourages submissions that contribute to a better analysis and understanding of the diversity of processes that lead to change in entrepreneurship, business organization, and strategy, in past and present times.
In the age of massive information, and pressures for academic productivity, the academic community has the commitment to analyze the changing nature of the endogenous and exogenous factors that have an influence in the development of diverse typologies of businesses in the world. The Journal of Evolutionary Studies in Business publishes original research, literature reviews and essays about International Business, Creative Industries, Management Challenges, Urban Ecosystems of Innovation, Smart Cities, Business History, Strategy, and Entrepreneurship. Special attention is paid to contributions that highlight the interdisciplinary, long-term analysis of businesses and organizations. The journal is committed to showcase original research, and outstanding literature reviews, that highlight the dynamic nature of business models in their experiences of adaptation (successful, or not) to internal and external factors of change. Adaptation, and path dependence, to a diversity of contexts and environments, are crucial concepts in the articles of this journal, all necessary to allow a correct understanding about the opportunities, and the obstacles, businesses face in the diverse parts of the world.
Peer Review Process
The editorial process uses the Open Journal Systems (OJS). Within this system the peer review process is as follows:
1. Authors register and submit a manuscript following submission guidelines
2. Editors in chief check that the manuscript follows style guidelines of the journal and decide to desk reject, or send to peer review.
3. If editors in chief decide to send to peer review, they assign an associate editor the task of inviting 2 external expert reviewers for a first round of review of the manuscript.
4. Assigned editors evaluate the peer reviews, and based on their comments and suggestions send an editorial decision with the anonymous expert external reviews to the author/s. Decision can be: Accepted, Rejected, or Revisions Requested.
5. Authors undertake the manuscript review, if the editorial decision was Revisions.
6. Assigned editors send for a second round of reviews the revised manuscript, if the Author accepts to modify the manuscript following comments from the first round of reviews and the first editorial decision.
7. Once the manuscript is finally accepted, the copyeditor edits the manuscript in collaboration with the Author/s.
8. Authors have to carefully revise their English style, and can have orientation in the University of Barcelona style guide: https://www.ub.edu/cub/criteri.php?id=2176
JESB is a peer-reviewed journal, with external expert reviewers from top academic institutions of the world.
* Only original submissions not published or submitted elsewhere can be submitted to this journal.
JESB publishes two issues per year, one in the first days of January, and the second one in the first days of July.
2015 Design and composition of the team and the journal
2016 First issue
2020 Accepted in Scopus Source List
2021 Among the top 400 journals in Business and International Management Scopus Source List
2022 Podcasts with interviews to authors, reviewers, editors of this journal, by New Books Network of the U.S
Past members of the editorial board
Jaume Valls-Pasola, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain. Cofounder and coeditor in chief 2016-2021
Adoración Alvaro, CUNEF, Spain. Associate editor 2016-2021
Eloi Serrano, Tecnocampus/UPF, Spain. Associate editor 2016-2021
Santiago López, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain. Associate editor 2016-2021
Esther Hormiga, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain. Associate editor 2016-2021